Tuesday 9 July 2013

Holy Ramadan..

Ramadan, the Muslim holy month is where Muslims around the world will abstain from food and drinks from dawn to dusk. Due to that, some adjustments is required to my workout schedules and meals in order to have a balance in carrying our my religious duties and training.

We would usually wake up at about 5 am everyday to have our pre-dawn meal. This is the only time we get a chance to fuel our body with energy for the next 14 hours or so. In my opinion, it's unavoidable for the body to consume muscle mass as energy during fasting. The best option is "damage control" and top up our body with the best fuel.

So consuming something which is absorbed slowly into the body is critical to ensure our body is fueled throughout. Foods with low glycemic index is an obvious choice here. Dates, is a popular, cheap and readily availble food during the fasting month and is an excellent choice for pre-dawn meals and breaking fast. Another choice for me would be oats. However, the stock I had at home are those quick-cooking and instant ones. A preferable option will be rolled oats. Brown rice is something which I will really look into if I get sick of oats!

Protein source will comes in the form of my trusty MusclePharm Casein, which will provide protein to my body for a longer period than whey.

Oh not to forget some veggies and also lots of water!!

Workout wise, definitely I can't go as intense or as heavy as before or else I will faint. As my workplace will release the Muslims an hour earlier than normal during the fasting month, I will make use of the extra hour to hit the gym before heading home for my break fast meal. That way my body quickly replenished with food and nutrients after the workout.

Things are easier said (or typed, in this case) but if you want something badly, you will do anything to achieve it!

Last but not least, Ramadan Mubarak!

1 comment:

  1. Salaam brother! Just sharing.. i also combine oats with my whey protein but strictly HALAL whey protein.

    ReplyDelete