Sunday 23 June 2013

Mutant Whey review




Catergory: Whey Protein
Brand / Model: "MUTANT WHEY"
Flavor: Triple Chocolate Fusion (10 lbs)
No of servings: ~122 servings ( approx 2 to 3 months)

Date of purchase: 10 June 2013
Place of purchase: Fitlion store, Singapore (www.fitlion.com)
Price: S$ 110.00 (self-collection)
Price per serving: S$ 0.90 per serving 
Extras / Gift: Free Fitlion T-shirt

Supplement Facts:





In a saturated market such as protein supplement, the only way to stand out from the rest of the field is to have a creative marketing strategy, eye catching packaging and a good price to boot.



Mutant, a Canadian outfit started out in 2006, has come up with a quite an interesting and intriguing package in the form of its flagship (and only!) protein product simply named "MUTANT WHEY".

With it's catchphrase "We are MUTANT - Leave Humanity Behind!", it does sends out a message that it means business. To back them up, they have a list of professional bodybuilders to endorse their product.

As an average gym buff, who does not have the luxury of companies sponsoring my supplement cabinet, it can be quite hard on the pocket to fish out our hard earned money to splash (or to some, splurge) on supplements every month. In Singapore, supplements do not come cheap. Oh yes, I did my research and supplements in Singapore are quite, if not really, overpriced!

I came across "MUTANT WHEY" while browsing through one of the online shops in Singapore, www.fitlion.com. Aside from the packaging, the thing that caught me was the price of the item. 10 lbs for S$ 110! It's almost 40% cheaper than a leading brand 10 lbs protein powder I bought a few months back! I added it to my cart immediately and proceeded with my payment. The only downside was a S$5 will be incurred if I choose to have it delivered to me. Instead, I opted to self-collect it from their warehouse which was just a 10 minutes drive away from where work.

I collected it the next day at their warehouse and was surprised that I had got a free Fitlion t-shirt. A pleasant surprise indeed. A quick check with some of my friends revealed that those who had it delivered, did not get the t-shirt......perhaps it was a win-win situation for me??

Being one of those people who loves reading item labels, I found out that the recommended number of scoops in a "normal usage" setting is 2 scoops and the "mutated usage" takes in about 3 scoops, which is too much for my liking. Browsed through the supplement facts and found out that 1 scoop (~ 37 grams) gives you an ideal 22 grams of protein which is good enough! I find it ridiculous to be gulping down 66 grams of protein in a single sitting! It's really overkill! 22 grams of protein from a post workout shake is suffice and the rest of the protein source should be from our healthy and well balanced diet and protein shakes at later times during the day. Perhaps it's just one of the marketing tools from Mutant??

Aside from all the chemical lingos on the supplement fact, the important thing is the amount of protein. A good protein powder should serve about 22 - 24 grams of protein in 1 scoop (~ 33 grams). The rest is gibberish to me unless you are one of those avid gym goers who pay absolute attention to each individual ingredient.

Apart from the "misleading" serving recommendation, the other thing that irks me about this product is the bag itself. It's not a refill pack cos it does not have a container to fill up in the first place. The default packaging for this product is the bag. Just a personal preference of mine to have my powder stored in a proper container. Thankfully, I have yet thrown my old protein powder container and used it to store a portion of the "MUTANT WHEY" and kept the rest in the resealable bag and stowed it in my cabinet.

It's hard to gauge the effectiveness of a protein powder cos you can't really "feel" it. The muscles that you should be growing is dependent on your diet and workout. Most people rate protein powder by taste. I went for the safest option and chose the Triple Chocolate Eruption flavour which did not disappoint.

In a nutshell, I would recommend "MUTANT WHEY" to ANYBODY who goes to the gym and consumes post-workout protein shakes. Aside from the other gibberish lingos, this protein powder fuels your body with 22 grams of protein per scoop and is a bang for buck product. Perfect for those who are thrifty and financially prudent!



**This review is carried out to my best knowledge / experience, personal reference / opinion and without prejudice to any parties.**



5 comments:

  1. Hi, for the Muslims, there's a good halal protein shake at Halal Whey Protein Singapore, which I really recommend. In fact, everyone should also try it- very good for weight management!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. abdul Aziz,this Mutant Whey halal or not?

      Delete
  2. Hi i cant access the website given above..

    anyways i found a better tasting whey protein which is halal at Whey Protein Halal. Smooth blends and no clumps..

    hope this helps!

    anyways, also tried Mutant Whey and anyone here also have stomach cramps and powerful farts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a great blog, i really enjoyed reading this, good luck in your work. Liquid L-Carnitine Singapore

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you are looking for Jakim Halal Protein or Gainer you can use Vital Whey or Vital Mass from Pharmanutri.

    ReplyDelete